I’d decided to have my usual cereal at around 7 am and changed my shorts but kept long thin leggings on. Steve said I did seem to have a bit of a low patch during the night and seemed to spend too long choosing what to take with me, but strangely I didn’t really notice it, I had started getting rather a sore behind, but I’d expected that, and it was foremost in my mind. Then it was off back to the 12 mile Quina Brook circuit and Steve said I seemed to really pick up after breakfast - it was as if I’d started a new day of cycling, most strange! I felt really good on these circuits and was managing nearly 16 mph. I realised I’d had far too much time off the bike to get anywhere near 368, but the main thing was that I was so enjoying the experience and the whole atmosphere of the event.
Amazingly, maybe due to spinning light gears as much as possible, my legs didn’t feel too bad, and I didn’t have any back ache. Getting cramp in the 100 taught me a huge lesson about not pushing heavy gears.
But at about 21 hours I started to get a very painful left hand and found it difficult to keep it on the drops. Still, considering I didn’t have any other major problems I felt I’d been pretty lucky in my first attempt. I seemed to keep going round the Quina Brook circuit, what I didn’t realise till later was that we had to wait for a huge slow load to go before going to the finishing circuit. Then off we were sent - and I knew the finish was in sight! Amazingly we seemed to have a lovely tail wind to the finishing circuit, just what was needed as a final morale booster. The organisers were amazing as first the start had to be moved due to roadworks, then they had the slow load to contend with, then the finishing circuit had to be changed to a shorter one at the very last minute. It was a bit hilly with quite narrow roads in places, but just the thing to keep you on your guard and I found the concentrating on the twists and turns made the time go quickly. I couldn’t believe that I felt better and stronger than on the finishing circuit of a “12”.
The support and cheers were fantastic - but at one hour to go I’d run out of food and drink and didn’t have an emergency gel, but in the end couldn’t be bothered to stop, then my time was up, and there was Steve who had miraculously worked out which time-keeper I’d stop at!
I was over the moon and it confirmed what many had said - that it is the best event on the time trial calendar. I just felt very privileged to be part of it and indebted to all the marshals and others as their encouragement helped me achieve what I did. Back to headquarters and confirmed so quickly that I’d done 342 miles. Later I studied my heart rate graph and splits and realised I’d had over two hours off the bike - much more than I’d planned, I was very surprised how the minutes here and there added up. So next year will be very different, probably much harder!
So it was my turn to sleep in the back of the car going home, out like a light for about 5 hours. Home at 9 pm then slept well again and off to work Monday with a big smile on my face! The buzz and feeling of achievement stayed with me for at least 2 weeks.
Then after a few days off the bike and eating loads, the following weekend we went on a three day, 180 mile tour carrying tent and sleeping gear, so I was delighted at my fast recovery. Putting in the extra miles in preparation just made me realise how much I love all aspects of cycling - whether it’s leisure cycling, touring, racing, even just cycling to work or the shops.
I really would recommend anyone having a go at the 24 hour as it really is such an amazing event. For the modest entry cost you are so well supported with food and drink if you want it, free food at Lynn’s all night café, the priceless cheers and smiles all night long, and to cap it all a medal and 24 hour Mersey embossed individual photo.
So roll on 2006, when I really will try and do over 368 miles! Anyone who would like any more information or encouragement please contact me.
Ann Bath
Amazingly, maybe due to spinning light gears as much as possible, my legs didn’t feel too bad, and I didn’t have any back ache. Getting cramp in the 100 taught me a huge lesson about not pushing heavy gears.
But at about 21 hours I started to get a very painful left hand and found it difficult to keep it on the drops. Still, considering I didn’t have any other major problems I felt I’d been pretty lucky in my first attempt. I seemed to keep going round the Quina Brook circuit, what I didn’t realise till later was that we had to wait for a huge slow load to go before going to the finishing circuit. Then off we were sent - and I knew the finish was in sight! Amazingly we seemed to have a lovely tail wind to the finishing circuit, just what was needed as a final morale booster. The organisers were amazing as first the start had to be moved due to roadworks, then they had the slow load to contend with, then the finishing circuit had to be changed to a shorter one at the very last minute. It was a bit hilly with quite narrow roads in places, but just the thing to keep you on your guard and I found the concentrating on the twists and turns made the time go quickly. I couldn’t believe that I felt better and stronger than on the finishing circuit of a “12”.
The support and cheers were fantastic - but at one hour to go I’d run out of food and drink and didn’t have an emergency gel, but in the end couldn’t be bothered to stop, then my time was up, and there was Steve who had miraculously worked out which time-keeper I’d stop at!
I was over the moon and it confirmed what many had said - that it is the best event on the time trial calendar. I just felt very privileged to be part of it and indebted to all the marshals and others as their encouragement helped me achieve what I did. Back to headquarters and confirmed so quickly that I’d done 342 miles. Later I studied my heart rate graph and splits and realised I’d had over two hours off the bike - much more than I’d planned, I was very surprised how the minutes here and there added up. So next year will be very different, probably much harder!
So it was my turn to sleep in the back of the car going home, out like a light for about 5 hours. Home at 9 pm then slept well again and off to work Monday with a big smile on my face! The buzz and feeling of achievement stayed with me for at least 2 weeks.
Then after a few days off the bike and eating loads, the following weekend we went on a three day, 180 mile tour carrying tent and sleeping gear, so I was delighted at my fast recovery. Putting in the extra miles in preparation just made me realise how much I love all aspects of cycling - whether it’s leisure cycling, touring, racing, even just cycling to work or the shops.
I really would recommend anyone having a go at the 24 hour as it really is such an amazing event. For the modest entry cost you are so well supported with food and drink if you want it, free food at Lynn’s all night café, the priceless cheers and smiles all night long, and to cap it all a medal and 24 hour Mersey embossed individual photo.
So roll on 2006, when I really will try and do over 368 miles! Anyone who would like any more information or encouragement please contact me.
Ann Bath
Author: Lisa
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval, so your comment may not appear immediately.