Tuesday, 25 October 2011

HOW DID THAT HAPPEN





I should not have braked going down Pebblecombe Hill but long since lost my nerve and maxed out at 34 mph on Sunday. But the rear brake blocks did their thing to my rim blowing the tyre, and the rim locked itself against the brake calliper. Angie said I was lucky not to end up in the road but I put staying upright down to my skill and 70 years of experience. I still do not understand why modern alloy rims don't last forever like they did in the good old days. I now do less miles than ever and this is the second rim that has let me down.

Luckily Dawn, resting from the tandem, passed by shortly afterwards intending to join us at Henfold for coffee and loaded me and my wheels into the car. We were joined by Deanna from Dorking and by Janice and Ken up from Rustington, no they didn't cycle, Janice has many months to wait before her arm repairs, and Terry no doubt planning pain for others on Wednesday.

David A

Author: Lisa

1 Comment:

Jeff 27 October 2011 at 10:58 BST

David,
You were very lucky to get away with that, particularly on Pebble Hill! Even more fortunate that is was the rear wheel.

Was the problem the thinning of the alloy or was the brake block rubbing against the tyre, which then exploded and destroyed the rim?

Jeff

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval, so your comment may not appear immediately.