Saturday, 5 March 2016

Hilly 50km Sat 5 March w2016

Just a short note to say that despite the weather which out to be literally a snow storm half way through 33 riders signed on and started. An amazing achievement under the circumstances and thanks to so many that turned up at the start to help with signing on.
I arrived 8.45am at Ryka's followed shortly thereafter by Geoffrey Shields a real stalwart who also helped with the sign on last year and he did a good job with the signing on! Carolyn & John Beer were the next to arrive with their dog and made a great contribution, Carolyn collecting all the money and managing the till very efficiently. Dave Vine was also early to arrive along with Ken Day and I started to feel comfortable that I was not on my own, in fact I took little part in the actual signing on. Terry L was also there in support which was a moral boost.
My main concern was should we allow the event to proceed as when I came over Box Hill the temperature was zero but the roads were dry and free from ice! At this time the snow had not started. In the end we only had 33 starters on the line with very few of the pre- registered turning up!
At around 10.20am I decamped to summit Box Hill and it was bitterly cold. Joined by son Tim & little Florence on her bike age 3 I felt well supported but a little concerned about the snow storm that now developed. I stayed at the finish untill 1.30pm when I was pretty certain that all the riders had finished, notably one 13 year old form V.C. Londres who were as always in recent years our most ardent supporters. More about that later with photo's but for now I will retire to bed.
Dave Vine & Ken Day were one of the last to arrive and it was amazing that such mature gentlemen managed to stay the course. Dave commented that conditions were grim but not dangerous and remarked that even Logmore Lane which I had reccied on Friday was safe by previous years problems. Whereas last year we had a few riders finish in under 2hrs, the best time this year was around 2hr. 27mins by last years first finisher from Kingston Wheelers.
Pictures and more analysis to follow. Riders and donations this year will be about half 2015 so a little disappointing but I think an achievement in view of the conditions and a remarkable result to all that rode!
Thank you all on the committee that helped me so much to keep this event alive!

Author: mike morley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval, so your comment may not appear immediately.