Thursday, 10 October 2019

2019 Prudential London 100; Christina Berkley's day


Prudential London 100

Christina Berkley



I deferred my 'guaranteed' place for the Pru 100 ride in July 2018, promptly re-registered for the 2019 event and booked a room at a hotel in London Dockland prior to the public ballot which was announced in February 2019.  I had taken part in the Pru 46 mile ride in 2016 and my husband Pat and son Arthur had each done the Pru 100 several times.  I helped their fund raising efforts and cheered them on and heard a few stories.  I knew what I was taking on.

Everyone at CTC Southwest London has been incredibly inspirational and helpful to me, I started riding with them in March 2017. Being a 'fair weather' rider, I was infrequent at the beginning, but realised that I wanted the rides and the camaraderie. Deferring my Pru 100 allowed me to gain a lot more Wayfarers and few C&M rides under my belt and I was a lot more confident after I took part in the Tri-Vets 100 mile ride on 19 June 2019. 

My regular rides with B group Wayfarers is 60 miles (door to door) from May 2019, I topped up rides with KPRC group on Saturdays for around 35 miles on a few occasions especially when I missed Wayfarers rides. Nutrition is important to ride the Pru 100; Steve at KPRC mentioned 'Sushi', I happen to know how to make sushi rolls with smoked salmon and spinach or any other fillings, my homemade sushi rolls turned out to be the best comfort food during my stop overs at Hampton Court, Newlands Corner and Green Park (shame I did not  realise its importance hence missed stocking it for my stopover at Leatherhead) during the Pru100 ride.

I had a good night's sleep in London Dockland the night before 4 August, did my 20 minute stretch and had tea, porridges with nuts and fruits and boiled eggs. I cycled from the hotel at 6 am for a 7.04 am start. It was a warm and beautiful day, I got a bit lost getting to the starting point initially but found my way following the many other cyclists and road signs.

The weather, the DJs and the waving spectators all were better than I remembered for my 46 mile ride in 2016. My bike and I worked well for the first 60 miles and I enjoyed the chats with other riders and the food and drinks on offer at Hampton Court and Newlands Corner. Climbing Leith Hill was challenging but the downhill was rewarding, I felt I got a second wind prior to Box Hill but climbing it after Leith Hill and with 60 miles under my belt was much slower than I remembered and there was not enough downhill after the peak; my feet started swelling and hurting. I had to stop over at Leatherhead hub, no sushi or grass there and I was bored with energy bars and gel by then, though water and crisps were still welcome. The following 20 - 25 miles I seemed to have few fellow cyclists alongside, I arrived at Green Park around 3.30pm, my PruRide App telling me that it had been 8 hours 21 minutes and 33 seconds since I started. With the help of smiling and eagle eyed volunteers at the luggage truck, I was united with my belongings, took my shoes off, and devoured my home prepared sushi.

Thanks to my bike maintenance team (my husband!) my bike served me well and by deferring my ride a year I gained good weather, more ride experience and greater confidence and as a result I thoroughly enjoyed it. 

Author: Paul James

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. Comments are occasionally sent to the admins for approval, so your comment may not appear immediately.